This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
4. - Amazon Web Services glossary: Read more in this section
Explore other sections in this guide:
Historically, load balancing divides the amount of work that a computer has to do among multiple computers so that users, in general, get served faster. ELB offers enhanced features including:
- Detection of unhealthy instances.
- Spreading instances across healthy channels only.
- Flexible cipher support.
- Centralized management of SSL certificates.
- Optional public key authentication.
- Support for both IPv4 and IPv6.
ELB optimizes fault tolerance by adjusting capacity according to incoming application traffic. Users can enable ELB within a single availability zone or across multiple availability zones to maintain consistent application performance.
The most well-known ELB solution is Amazon's EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud). However, other vendors have also offered ELB in recent years. ScaleBase offers an ELB solution with real-time elasticity, which simplifies the ability to scale the MySQL RDBMS (relational database management system) without requiring infrastructure changes or taking services offline.